About the Center
The Center for Smart Justice is centered on the belief that public safety is paramount, and because of the magnitude of this responsibility, there truly is no room for inefficiency. The Center’s research focuses on evidence-based reforms to Florida’s criminal and juvenile justice systems that ensure less crime, fewer victims, and no wasted tax dollars.
As with all government services, accountability in the vital areas of criminal and juvenile justice demands achieving the best results in terms of public safety at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. This is what we call Smart Justice.
Smart Justice Means:
- Increasing Public Safety
- Stopping the Juvenile Pipeline into Adult Crime and Incarceration
- Strategic Investments in Appropriate, Evidence-based Interventions
- Reducing Costly Recidivism
- Reducing Unsustainable Costs of Prison Maintenance and Growth
- Saving Precious Taxpayer Resources While Reducing Crime
- Holding Offenders Accountable
- Ensuring Ex–offenders Return to our Communities as Productive and Employable Members of Society